Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Article Response

This article was very interesting to me. I like the way it begins with the graphic scene of the car accident and how the journalist covering it felt. It really gave me a feel of what it is like to be a journalist who writes police beats. It was really intriguing to hear all the stories of the reporters, like Rankins and how it affected her. She became paranoid and constantly frightened. Also the story of reporter's Reilly and Statter, and how the story they covered included a sergeant they knew who was killed. The stories of the various reporter's made me realize how time consuming and risky reporting police beat's can be. It is hard to imagine taking on a job like this, seeing deceased families, and friends so heartbroken; and also seeing such graphic scenes. I know now for a fact after reading this that I would absolutely be negatively affected if I were a police beat reporter. Seeing a human dead in real life is not something anyone could ever forget and it stays with you. I think it is important for journalists to be debriefed and counseled like Dr. Anderson had stated. They could use more protection and attention, especially for experiencing such life changing things, just to write a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment